Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Garbage In, Weigh Goes On

The diet journey began no less than 5 times before it took hold. I'd quit after a few weeks or even a month or two. Then one day, I don't know how, but, I fought through the pain and hunger and kept on my diet. The next time I wanted to turn to food for comfort, I got my fat butt on the exercise bike that was sitting in the basement that hardly got used. The very next day, I felt sore and I hurt but, I pushed myself and got on again. No one said dieting is easy and yes I fell off the diet wagon more times than I wish to recall.

The trick? You can't punish yourself when you do fail. Maybe you DID have a really, really bad day and maybe the only that is going to make you feel better is that hunk of chocolate cake. You know what my advice is?? It is the OPPOSITE of everything the skinny minnies always tell you. I'm telling you to go ahead. CHEAT. Yes, that's right, cheat! If you deny yourself what you really want now, you'll just explode and do more serious damage later. CHEAT NOW!

However, once again, the trick is to rein yourself in. Even if you have a week of out of control eating, don't worry! You probably only regained a pound or two and, only set yourself back a week or two in reaching your goal weight.

It's not the occasional episode of cheating that is going to do you in - it's the life time of bad habits. It's all a matter of checks and balances.

Now for the sticky one. Have you ever had a "friend" and I use the word loosely that tried to sabotage your diet? I'm sure you know the one - the person who decides to stop at McDonald's on your way home from shopping or traps you into meeting her for a fattening coffee at Starbucks. But, you know what? You aren't powerless. Be as sneaky and manipulative as SHE IS!!

TRICK HER! When she calls you up to meet her or go out - pinpoint the skinny wench and ask her are you stopping for dinner. Don't be afraid, you have the right to know. Even if she says no and then makes you stop anyhow there are few things you can do as defensive measures:

  1. If you know you're going out with a friend trying to sabotage your diet, "allow" yourself room when planning out your daily menu. Assume that she is going to trap you, and, figure out how many calories to save. You'll ease the guilt and with a little bit of luck and planning, you'll still hit your daily calorie range.
  2. Who says you have to order a Big Mac at McDonalds or a Strawberries N Cream at Starbucks? Order grilled chicken or have a salad. And have tea instead of coffee. You'll be amazed how these calorie saving tricks work and you still get to go out and be social.
  3. Exercise ahead of time. If you know you're going out for a big meal on Friday night, exercise an extra 20 minutes per day. You'll burn off at least 50 to 75 calories per night and times that between 4 and 6 days, and, you're looking at a few hundred calories you have to use guilt free!
Use these simple tricks and you'll be the one coming out on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment